Saturday, December 4, 2010

Biscuits and Gravy

There are many holiday traditions in our family.  There is the one where we celebrate Christmas.  Strange to say, I know,  but not all people do.   Then there's the one where we eat tamales on Christmas Eve, Ok so this was an acquired tradition based upon the influence from my mission and other life's experiences,  but it's still a tradition, and there are ALWAYS hugs at midnight to go with it !! Forget that going to bed to wait for Santa.. HECK NO!!! We wait up to welcome him!!!
Sooooo with that said,  the final and most important tradition for me, is  Christmas morning breakfast.   I get up extra early and start frying the sausage, then I turn it into gravy over biscuits that I've baked.  This is one of my favorite ways to show my family some love.  Joey and Charlie.. well they can't imagine Christmas without it.  In fact last year Joey prepared it for his mission companions on Christmas morning, and I fixed it for the entire District of  Elders and Sisters who were serving in our area.
What is it about this thick, milky, comfort food of a home cooked meal in a pan that means so much?  Is it the extra sausage or pepper that I add?  Is it the only ever use whole milk technique to assure arterial clogging?  Is it the "pop" in the can of biscuits before putting them in the oven (ok there I let you in on my secret,  I use the canned kind..  sorry biscuit makers !!) or is it....  The love and concern that goes with tradition.  The feel of family and home and knowing where our priorities are in life.  The feeling of serving our family and others from our heart..  The knowledge that the reason for the season isn't so much every little monetary thing,  its the feel of family and the person who's birth we are celebrating.  
My friend Diana's little girl  was so happy for the holiday celebration that she shouted out to her mom  "HOLI-BRATION"  !!  That's what to me Biscuits and Gravy is about..  a total feeling of HOLI-BRATION !!!  

No clue who the Elders are,  but the pic is proof of the tradition..  Glad to say that I don't have to have Pepto on the table when I cook !!!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I LOVE biscuits and gravy.

Jalaire said...

Biscuits and gravy are the best!